One of the pleasures of owning an iPhone is that it makes life simpler. Lots of people miss out on several hidden iPhone features that can help make life a little less complicated. For instance, did you know you can teach Siri how to pronounce a name and keep emergency medical information a tap away?
Below are some easy to learn tips that will help make life with your iPhone a little more fun.
- Create a Favorites Album just by tapping the small heart button on the bottom of the screen below the pictures you love. A favorites album is created and you can store photos there.
- Have your medical identification ready for an emergency by using the Medical ID tab. If there is an emergency, someone can see any allergies or medications you are taking and a contact person to call.
- Optimize your battery life by checking out which apps are using too much power. Simply go to Settings>Battery. You’ll see your apps listed and how much battery they are using. You can close the app if it’s open or delete items like songs and photos.
- Take a photo while you are recording video. Just click the small white bottom left of your screen and you’ll have a photo without ever stopping your video.
- You can adjust the amount of exposure when taking a photo by simply holding down the sun icon. To make it brighter, scroll up on the sun icon and down to make it darker.
- Change your direction when taking panorama pictures by tapping the arrow and boom. Your panorama switches to the other side of the screen.
- Using Siri to read to you. Siri deserves so much more credit than we give her. Did you know she can read aloud? To get her to read texts to you, go to Settings>General>Accessibility and in the vision section turn on Speak Selection. After it’s on, you can highlight a passage and press speak to have her read. Another option is to use the “speak screen.” this will make Siri read the entire screen to you once you swipe down on it with two fingers.
- Teach Siri correct pronunciation. To do this just say a name while using Siri; when she responds, speak back and say, “That’s not how you pronounce (the name).” Siri will politely ask how to say it correctly and give you three options from which to choose. Pick the one you one.
- Operate Siri without pressing the home button (this is available on the Apple Watch and the iPhone). Just click on the general part of Settings and under Siri, toggle on “Allow Hey Siri.” As long as your phone is charging you can just say “Hey Siri” and she will respond. If you have the iPhone 6S and beyond, you can use this feature without plugging in.
- Teach Siri to remember certain relationships. This can make calling, texting or emailing much simpler. Just press down on the home button until Siri open up, say “(Name) is my (mother, brother, etc).” She will ask back to confirm the relationship.
- Use the Compass App as a level when you are hanging pictures on the wall. Just swipe the app to the right and it will turn into a level. When you are straight the app will turn green.
- This last one you will either love it or hate it. Turn on/off predictive text (sometimes called auto correct). Just hold down the world icon in text messages and you can turn it on or off.
At WynWay, we provide technology services to clients across the country while being locally owned and operated in Greencastle, Indiana. Feel free to stop into our office between 2:30 and 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Our services include, but are not limited to:
- Mac repair
- PC repair
- Smart phone repair
- Printer setup
- Virus removal
- Personal Training
- Personal Monthly Tech Support
- Business Monthly Tech Support
Are we missing something that you need? Contact us and we can work together to find a solution.